Happy September! This month, the Kosher Connection is spreading the joy the best way we know how to; with food! I”m excited to see what everyone comes up with this month, since it’s not much of a foodie theme. We are spreading the joy with freezer food for a mom-to-be; Jessica! She’s due on Friday and has been stocking her freezer with healthy goodies so she won’t have to cook for a long time, so I made this green mac & cheese for both of us. I split it in two, put half in my freezer and half in hers.
Since my son is only 6 months old, I don’t have to sneak greens into his food (yet), but sometimes I need to sneak healthy veggies into my own meals (and my husband’s, too!) so this is perfect. Not that I don’t like healthy food, but we’ve been eating so unhealthily over the holidays, that we could all use some blended spinach and hidden peas and broccoli. And where better to hide such verdant vegetables than delicious, creamy mac & cheese?
Green Mac & Cheese from weelicious
- 1 pound pasta (my new favorite mac and cheese noodle is ditalini)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cups packed fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup peas
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook pasta in salted water for about 3 minutes less than package directions call for, until al dente. Reserve half a cup of the pasta water and strain.
- While the pasta is cooking. Place the milk and spinach in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
- In a large pot melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking continuously over low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes to make a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is gently bubbling and starting to thicken.
- Add reserved pasta water and cheese and whisk until melted. Stir in the pasta, broccoli and peas.
- Transfer to a greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish (or two smaller ones) and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and the pasta is set.