I had to use up the leftover cauliflower from the Italian Style Cauliflower last week, but I wanted a recipe that was completely different. Too much of that white vegetable is boring! The first step? Make it in the oven instead of the stove. Oh, and I just got a steamer basket, so I wanted to use that too. If you like creamy foods, you’ll love this! It’s pretty much mac and cheese with cauliflower instead of pasta. It would probably be delicious with an assortment of vegetables, or with purple cauliflower and pasta together (again, too much white bores me).
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, split into florets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
1. Steam the cauliflower in a steamer basket for 5 minutes – put about an inch of water in the saucepan and boil. Place cauliflower in steamer basket and cover. I know the pictures are uncovered, I just thought it was cool that the steam showed up in the picture!
2. Heat up the milk (I used the microwave)
3. Make a roux: melt the butter in a saucepan. When melted, add the flour and stir for 3 minutes.
4. Add the milk and mix, until the sauce thickens (it should coat a wooden spoon).
5. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the cheese, mix again.
6. Transfer the cauliflower to a baking dish. Pour sauce over the cauliflower and stir, making sure each piece is coated in sauce. Top with breadcrumbs and bake for 30 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake until the top browns, about 10 more minutes.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SARAH! You would never eat this, but you still deserve a special shout-out.
Pingback: Cauliflower Gratin - The Kosher Foodies()