What do you do with all the leftover veggies lying around your fridge? Well, we know one option is to make a pot pie out of them. Or you can always roast them. But it’s cold out, so soup is another option. If you also have some dried beans (or a can) lying around, you can have a healthful lunch or a wonderful side with dinner (or add a crostini or garlic bread to dip into the soup and voila – dinner!). Add your favorite mini pasta and you’ll get a thicker and more hearty soupy meal.
When making soup (or really cooking any veggies together), it’s important to cut them all the same size. This is not only to ensure even cooking, but it’s also much more pleasant to take a giant spoonful of soup when you know the veggies all match. I think so, anyway.
- 1 cup great northern beans, soaked overnight – don’t discard the soaking liquid, it adds body to the soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- A glug of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 Idaho potato, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes diced
- 1 cup little pastas, cooked (optional)
- 1 quart water (more or less, depending on how liquidy you like your soup)
1. The night (or 8 hours) before you make the soup: soak the beans!
2. In a large soup pot, add a glug of olive oil and place over medium heat.
3. Chop the onion and add to pot.
4. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Add the red pepper and basil, too. Saute until the onions soften.
5. Meanwhile, chop the carrot, celery, and zucchini. Add them to the pot. Season.
6. Chop the potato and sweet potato and add to the pot.
7. Mix all the vegetables until they get tender.
8. Add the tomatoes and stir. Then, add the beans with the soaking liquid.
9. Bring mixture to a boil. Add the water and bring back to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
10. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve with the cooked pasta mixed in, bread, or whatever else you choose. Enjoy!