When it comes to lasagna, we Kosher Foodies always have to make a choice: dairy or meat. Well, I bought some Morningstar Farms Meal Starters to use as meat, and so I could have “meat” and cheese together! Layers of pasta, tomato, meat, cheese, and vegetables made for a very heavy and delicious dinner, the perfect comfort food for a winter night. Whatever you don’t eat can easily be frozen and reheated.
This was my first time using these veggie protein crumbles, and I thought they did a good job mimicking the texture of ground beef. There were so many other things going on in this dish, so the fake meat wasn’t really the star, and I think it was better that way.
- 1 box of whole wheat lasagna, because I like to use whole wheat pasta
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 big can crushed tomatoes
- 1 package Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the lasagna
- Sauté the peppers and onions in a large pan over high heat for five minutes.
- In a large baking tray, place a layer of pasta down and cover with sauce. alternate covering layers of pasta and tomato with the vegetable mixture, “meat,” and cheese (finish with cheese to get a browned crust).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.