Even though we aren’t vegetarians, we’re no strangers to veggie burgers. Our freezers are usually stocked with Chik Patties and other MorningStar Farms delights, but those have some problems; they’re filled with preservatives and they’re dairy! Our veggie burgers are pareve and consist only of natural, fresh ingredients. Try adding corn, hot pepper or any other flavor variety to make them your own and you’ll never buy a frozen veggie burger again.
Sure, this takes a little longer than microwaving a frozen patty, but not much. It probably took 30 minutes from start to finish, counting the 20 minutes baking time. Do what we did and double the recipe so you can freeze some for later!
Spicy Black Bean Burgers from all recipes
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees, and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
- Put in bun, top with cheese, lettuce, hummus, roasted peppers or the toppings of your choice, eat and enjoy!