Fall is here! That means butternut squash and soup weather. Now, I know we always share butternut squash soup recipes with you, but this one is different. This one also has roasted sweet potato and carrot. And coconut milk! Perfect for the rainy and gross weather today.
This is also one of the easiest soup recipes ever. No chopping and stirring, no waiting for the onions and garlic to brown and adding dashes and pinches of things. Just place vegetables in the oven and forget about them until a timer beeps. Then blend it all together. That’s it. It’s delicious and refreshing, and perfect for the cool fall days!
Had a busy day? No time to sit over a stove? This is a great soup for the freezer, too! So make a batch and freeze half for another day. You know I love having food in my freezer! You might just have to thin it out a bit before serving, at that’s okay if you have 6-ounce mason jars full of homemade vegetable broth in your freezer at all times, like I do.
Roasted Vegetable Soup with Coconut
- 1 medium butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise
- 2 carrots, cut in half
- 1 sweet potato, halved lengthwise
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2-4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Grease a baking sheet with olive or vegetable oil
3. Season the vegetables and place on baking sheet, cut side down, and roast in the oven for 1 hour, until vegetables are soft and begin to brown.
4. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
5. Scoop out the meat from the butternut squash and onion and discard the skins (I used the sweet potato skin but you can choose whether or not to remove that).
6. Combine all vegetables in a Vitamix or other blender.
7. Add coconut milk and 2 cups of broth.
8. Puree until smooth.
9. Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
10. Heat up soup in a pot, adding more liquid if necessary.
10. Serve and enjoy!