These baked egg noodles and kelsonnes (kel-SON-ess) are easy and delicious. We keep the ravioli-like envelopes in the freezer and boil them with the noodles for a quick dinner.
You can make your own dough, but frozen ravioli doughs are easier and more consistent. You’ll need:
- 1 package of ravioli dough
- 1 package of egg noodles
- grated muenster cheese
- 2 eggs
- a splash of milk
- butter, about a tablespoon, or as much or as little as you like
To make kelsonnes:
- Make egg wash with one off the eggs and milk. This is to make the kelsonnes stay closed.
- Add the other egg to the cheese in a bowl and mix.
- Brush the edge of each dough with the egg wash.
- Place a mound of cheese in the center of each dough.
- Press to close, making sure there are no holes.
You can freeze these or use them fresh. If frozen, boil for about 5 minutes before adding the noodles to the same pot. When fresh, cook noodles according to the package and add the kelsonnes in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- After draining the pasta and kelsonnes, put it in glass or ceramic baking dish. Add butter and salt to taste and bake for 15 minutes, or until desired crispiness is reached.