One of my college roommates always made these mushrooms, but I could never eat her version, because she put bacon in them. So I tweaked her recipe to fit my kosher needs and created this pareve recipe.
- 1 8 oz. package of button mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup of herbed breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, for the pan
- Pop the stems out of the mushrooms and set the caps aside
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add the chopped onions and garlic into the pan and cook until fragrant and transparent
- Chop up the stems of the mushrooms and add them to the pan
- Add the breadcrumbs into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes
- Place the caps onto a greased baking sheet and use a spoon to stuff the mushroom caps with the mushroom filling
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
If I didn’t make these to accompany a meat meal, I might add some cheese to the mix. I definitely didn’t miss the meat, since mushrooms have such a meaty texture.