I wish I had thought of making this for Rosh Hashana this year. I could have replaced the kale with chard for a non-traditional siman. Oh well, maybe next year. For now, I will just have to share with you a delicious kale salad. It has crunch from almonds, a salty tang from green olives and pomegranate, which can do no wrong in my book.So whenever I serve kale, I always cook it first. At first glance, it doesn’t seem to be edible raw. But, if you let it soak in acid for a bit before serving, or even smush it around in the dressing, it transforms into a great, light salad ingredient. Have you read about massaging your kale? The best part about it is that you can dress the salad in advance, and it won’t get soggy!
Lemony Kale Salad with Almonds, Olives and Pomegranates
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch kale, ribs and stems removed and sliced into thin strips
- about 1/2 cup of pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup sliced Green olives
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
For the Dressing:
- juice of two lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Pour over kale and mix well with your hands.
- Mix in pomegranate, olives and almonds, reserving some pomegranate and almond for garnish.
- Top with the rest of the pomegranate arils and almonds.