I love to grill. Even though the weather is getting cold and many people are braising and slow cooking every night. I’m not, I just like cooking outside. But sometimes, you just don’t want meat. Good thing there are other things that you can grill! I mean, of course we all know about grilling corn and other veggies. But really, my favorite thing to grill is pineapple. And after that, pretty much any fruit. So when I found this recipe, I was extremely excited. And then went ahead and make it about ten times this I discovered the recipe last summer.
I know what you’re thinking: why would I eat tofu when I can just grill real meat? Well, there are many reasons. This is, in fact, a wonderful Meatless Monday meal for the barbecue. It’s also just amazing, so why not eat tofu, even if you’re not a vegetarian? Fact: my sister in law and father in law LOVED this meal. And they are not tofu eaters. In fact, they were pretty skeptical when I told them what was on the menu.
The trick to any tofu dish, really, is draining the tofu, and draining it well. That means that in the morning I slice it and put it between some towels (paper, or dish, depending on what you prefer) and press. Then I do that again with new towels, and then again I put new towels and this time let it sit in the fridge, wrapped in towels, with something heavy on top. When I’m ready to marinate (about two hours before), the tofu is nice and dry and ready to absorb some new flavors.
Grilled Teriyaki Tofu with Pineapple and Brown Rice, adapted from here:
- 1 pineapple
For the tofu marinade:
- 2- 8oz blocks extra firm tofu
- 6 tablespoons tamari
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- About 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
For the rice:
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 quart coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Slice each block of tofu into 1/4 inch slices (8 per block) and drain the tofu, as stated above.
2. Make the teriyaki marinade: Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until combined.
3. Marinate the tofu in plastic bags or big dishes in the fridge for 1-4 hours. I prefer 2.
4. Make the vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in blender and blend to combine. Will stay in the fridge for a week.
5. Cut the pineapple, either in slices, or my favorite, lengthwise into eight long wedges.
6. Make the rice: Combine all ingredients in a pot.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Cover, and simmer for 50 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
9. Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
10. Start the grill: Brush the grill with some oil.
11. Grill the pineapple for 15-25 minutes, depending on the thickness of your wedges, turning so that each side gets grill marks.
12. Grill tofu for 5-8 minutes on each side.
13. Remove pineapple from grill and slice the wedges into small triangles
14. Serve brown rice on platter and place tofu and pineapple on top.
15. Cover with the vinaigrette.