Ah, one-pot meals! I love them. And I’ve been looking for some easy do-ahead meals, as well. So when I saw Anne Burrell make this chicken and cauliflower dish, I decided it was the perfect thing to make for dinner…It was delicious! The chicken had a strong flavor from all the coriander, the texture of the veggies was great due to the nuts I added, and it was so easy to get dinner on the table.
Coriander Chicken with Hammered Cauliflower, adapted from Anne Burrell:
Serves 4 (or two, with some shredded for a baby and leftovers to make chicken salad for lunch the next day).
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coriander (I used ground, but you can use whole and grind them yourself).
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 1 giant red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken stock, but I had some veggie broth in the freezer, so used that)
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
1. Prep the cauliflower: Toss the florets into salted boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft but not mushy. Strain and reserve.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Sprinkle the chicken generously with salt and ground coriander.
4. Coat a cast iron skillet with some oil and put over medium-high heat.
5. Brown the chicken on both sides and set aside on a plate.
6. Mix the cauliflower with the celery and onions and brown for about 5 minutes in the cast iron skillet (I did this in two batches)
7. Add cauliflower and veggies the a large roasting pan.
8. Combine the white wine, honey, vinegar, almonds, and bay leaves and cook in the skillet until aromatic, about 10 minutes.
8. Place the chicken on top, skin side up, and nestle it into the cauliflower.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, removing the foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
10. Serve and enjoy!