Happy new year, everyone! When Miriam emailed us to invite us to a Rosh Hashanah blogger’s party, I knew we had to attend. This year, we tested a delicious chicken recipe with pomegranate. Yum.
Challah and Bread:
Last year, the wonderful folks at Pom Wonderful sent us some of our favorite stuff in the world! We tested a bunch of recipes with this stuff; sweets, like ice cream, and savory, like this chicken. The juice really works both ways.
Also, did you notice last year that the pomegranates available at the markets were sub-par? I hope this year is better! They were tiny and brown and dried-out looking, nothing like the juicy red fruits they’re supposed to be.
I’ve tried all of the varieties, and my favorite is the blueberry pomegranate juice. Actually, maybe that’s tied with the 100% pomegranate. Mango’s not so bad either. Okay, fine. They’re all delicious.
You’ve probably heard enough about my love of pomegranate… Chag sameach!
Chicken Braised in Pomegranate
serves four as a main course; multiply accordingly.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1.25 lbs.)
- 2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- olive oil, salt and pepper
- drizzle a little bit of olive oil in a dutch oven and sear chicken pieces on both sides. remove chicken and add onions and shallots. cook for 10 minutes, add garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- preheat oven to 350
- put the chicken pieces and their juices back into the pot with the pomegranate juice, honey and spices. mix well, turn chicken skin-side down and bring to a boil.
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes
- turn chicken over, recover and bake in the oven for another 30 minutes. uncover, raise the heat to 425 and let the skin crisp up.
- serve over rice.
I can’t find our photos of this recipe!! If you try it, email me your photos [stephanie at thekosherfoodies dot com], and I’ll post them (and credit you, of course!)
Reader Christopher Shymansky kindly e-mailed me the beautiful photo of the chicken you see above. Thank you!