Sometimes, you are just in the mood for Chinese food, but you want it to be semi- healthy. That’s where this recipe came in. Beef lomein without all the MSG and junk. I know exactly what went into it, and used whole wheat pasta, of course!
My husband thought it was delicious, but actually thought I should have used tofu in place of the steak. That’s pretty unlike him, but I think the tofu would have been better, especially if it was marinated in the delicious sauce.
There are a lot of things I like about this recipe. For one, it has vegetables, proteins, and carbs all in one pot, so I don’t really have to think much about a side dish. Serve it with a simple salad or a soup and that’s a whole meal. It’s also easy to make a huge pot in case you’re having company. Plus, leftovers are delicious!
Beef Lo Mein, adapted from here:
- 12 ounces thin whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (not the toasted kind)
- 1/2 cup beef stock (or vegetable broth if you want to make it vegetarian)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Olive oil
- 1 big steak (or 1 package of tofu, cut into 4 slices and drained)
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 cup broccoli florets (you can use frozen here)
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
2. After draining the pasta, toss with the sesame oil in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine the stock/broth, brown sugar, and soy sauce in a measuring cup or bowl.
4. In a large skillet, cook the steak over high head, turning when browned. Remove onto plate and set aside to cool.
5. In the same skillet, cook the onion over medium heat. Stir occasionally, until they’re soft and the edges are brown, about 15 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
5. In the same skillet, add the carrots and broccoli. Cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 6 minutes.
6. Add the sauce and bring the heat to high. When bubbles start to form, lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Slice the steak into bite-size strips and add to the spaghetti.
8. When the vegetables are all soft, pour the sauce and veggies over the spaghetti and steak.
9. Mix well and serve.
Note: if making with tofu, marinate it in the sauce and cut into cubes, then bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.