This holiday just snuck up on me this year, and while our fellow kosher bloggers were busy baking up inventive three-cornered-hat cookies, we were slacking. But we’re making it up with these delicious s’mores hamentaschen.
Steven is going to wear the same skeleton pajamas (we’ll pretend it’s a costume) he wore when we welcomed trick or treaters on Halloween, so at least I had that covered. What are you/r kids dressing up as? What is your mishloach manot theme? what’s the most clever one you received (so I can be ready for next year; gotta think ahead!)?
S’mores, previously: We made s’mores ice cream sandwiches for our birthday in December, and graham crackers for a camping trip
Purim, previously: Our classic hamentaschen recipe
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup neutral-flavored oil
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Marshmallows (I used 1/2 a regular-sized marshmallow for each one, but you could also use mini)
- Chocolate chips (I used about 5 chips each) (Make sure they’re pareve, because otherwise this recipe is totally dairy-free!)
1. Mix the flours, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
2. In a stand mixer, cream the oil and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time.
4. Add vanilla.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
6. Refrigerate dough for a few hours (at least 2) or overnight.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
8. Cut the dough into quarters. Cover the parts you are not using so they don’t dry out. Roll the dough to 1/8 inch and cut into circles 2 1/2 inches round.
9. Put half of a marshmallow and some chocolate chips in the middle of each circle, and shape into triangles by bringing two sides up to the center and pinching the top, then bringing the bottom side up and pinching the two corners.
10. Bake on greased cookie sheet for 10 – 12 minutes, or until the edges and the marshmallows are slightly browned.