We’re big fans of Brussels sprouts, and although we love our go-to recipes, when they’re in season and on sale, sometimes it’s good to switch things up a bit so we don’t get sick of them. Since Brussels sprouts are pretty much like mini cabbages, this is basically coleslaw.
I used my mandoline to slice up the sprouts and the shallots really thin. You can obviously use a knife if that’s all you have.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
Serves 4 as a side
- 12 oz. Brussels sprouts
- 1 large shallot
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the Brussels sprouts. Cut off the stem and peel away the outer leaves. Use a mandoline to slice them very thin. Set aside.
- Still using the mandoline, slice the shallot very thin and soak the slices in a bowl of water. Set aside.
- Whisk together the mustard, honey, vinegar, salt, pepper and oil until emulsified.
- Drain the shallots and mix them with the Brussels sprouts. Pour dressing over the top and toss. Serve at room temperature or cold.