This side dish is so easy, and I love peas. The best part? You can make it all year long, since it’s great with frozen peas. If it’s springtime and you want to bother with shelling fresh peas, feel free, but I find that frozen ones are just fine.
Mario Batali’s recipes always look simple and delicious, and this one is no exception. These peas are spicy, so feel free to decrease the chili flakes if you’d like.
Peas in the Style of Tuscany, from Mario Batali
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into a fine dice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups green peas (I used frozen)
- Fresh mint leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the sugar, chili flakes and tomato paste and cook until rusty looking, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt.
- Serve hot or at room temperature garnished with mint leaves.