Okay, I have to admit that I don’t like parmesan cheese. So when I say parmesan, I mean muenster. It’s delicious, anyway. If you do like parmesan cheese, feel free to sprinkle some on top. I got the idea for this dish while watching Giada make vegetarian meals for her mom. It’s super easy and very delicious! When I make this, I make one mushroom per person. Serve with a side of pasta and a light salad for an easy weeknight meal.
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- About 3/4 cup to 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup cheese – I use muenster, but you can use mozzarella, or whatever kind you like.
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Steam the spinach – I have a little steamer insert for a small pot. Boil a little bit of water, put the spinach in the steamer, and cover the pot. Steam for about 5 minutes. You can saute it, too. Add salt and pepper.
3. Brown the mushrooms – Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Remove stems from the mushrooms. brush both sides with olive oil. When skillet is hot, put mushrooms in pan, brown. Turn over and brown the others side. This should take about 2 minutes on each side.
4. Put about half the sauce at the bottom of a baking dish. Place the mushrooms, stem side up, on top of the sauce. Add the spinach. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the spinach, and top with the remaining sauce.
5. Put mushrooms in oven and cook for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve warm.