We both tried to make lemon bars about a million years ago, but we failed. First the custard didn’t gel, and then we tried making it with raw sugar (not a pretty picture), and then we forgot about it and went on with our other baking projects. Fast forward to now, when I had some sour cream left over in our fridge and remembered how good it was in baking.
So, upon googling different baking recipes using sour cream, I found this. I knew I had to make it over all of the other possibilities, which would be added to my virtual recipe pile. Why? 1) Lemon bars! We neglected you all these years, but we said we’d try again and we meant it! 2) It’s a recipe written for a Baker’s Edge Pan! As you know, I own one of those, and I love the crispy edges that it produces. If you don’t, you can still bake these bars in an 9×13 baking dish.These were great, they’re a perfect combination of sweet and sour and have a nice, buttery crust and not-too-gooey top. They didn’t cut so evenly, which is probably my fault, but I blame it on the pan. So if you use a regular-shaped pan to bake these in, you’ll get more uniform results.
Lemon Bars, from Baking Bites:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into several pieces
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons (about 1 generous tablespoon)
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, mix the flour, sugar lemon zest and salt.
- Add in butter and pulse until mixture reaches a crumbly, sandy texture.
- Press dought evenly into your Baker’s Edge pan or 9″x13″ pan bake and for 16-19 minutes, until just slightly golden at the corners.
- While the crust is baking, beat the remaining ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour the lemon filling into the still-hot crust and return pan to the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until set and slightly browned at the corners.
- Set pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving