For some reason, I decided I really wanted to make butter pecan ice cream. I bought the pecans. I had the cream, milk, eggs, and brown sugar that I needed. I had some butter in the freezer. I just didn’t have the recipe. I searched and searched and finally came up with one that seemed okay. I didn’t use it. Instead I combined some of my own ice cream knowledge and came up with this recipe. It’s awesome.
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place pecan on baking sheet and roast for about 7 minutes, until they turn brown and fragrant.
2. When the come out, immediately add the butter and salt to them. Mix. Set aside.
3. Heat the milk over medium heat.
4. While the milk is heating, combine the eggs yolks and brown sugar. Whisk until combined.
5. Add the half milk to the egg mixture slowly, bringing up the temperature. Then, add the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk. Heat over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens a bit.