Recently, Leat sent me and Steph a recipe for the best looking breakfast I had ever seen. I knew I had to make it right away…so I went out and bought an avocado ($1 ripe one…why are avocados so expensive these days?) and make this for breakfast the next day. Zeke is crazy and didn’t eat his avocado! He thought it would be weird warm. I think he’s crazy. It was amazingly delicious. You should make this as soon as possible.
Eggs are my favorite breakfast. If you ever sleep over, you’d know Zeke and I have eggs a few mornings a week. A good source of protein, easy, filling, and definitely delicious…but mixed with one of my favorite foods, avocados,
Okay, okay. I know you probably think I’m crazy for even writing down this recipe. But it was one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever made! Really. And it was so easy. Having a “real food” breakfast makes a big difference in my day. I mean, when I ate this, I was awake and energized all day.
Oh, and I scooped out the middle of the avocado with an ice cream scooper so that the egg would fit better. But don’t worry, I fed that bit to Richie! We don’t waste avocado in this house.
Egg Baked in Avocado, adapted from Life Hacker:
- 1 avocado, split in half, pit removed
- 2 eggs
- Some splashes of hot sauce (Zeke likes Sriracha the best. I used Cholula)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop out the middle of the avocado. Don’t you dare throw it out.
3. Season with salt and pepper and some hot sauce.
4. Crack the egg in the middle.
5. Place eggs in pan (I used a cast iron skillet), and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
6. After 5 minutes, turn on broiler and broil for one minute, until the top is brown.
7. Remove from oven. Break the yolk and let it spread everywhere.
8. Eat! Enjoy!
Oooh, if you added some shredded cheese to the top it would probably be awesome. Maybe you should try that?