Rhubarb is often paired with strawberries, since they come into season together. Not that I have anything against strawberries, but sometimes you just want the rhubarb to shine. I mean, strawberries are much more widely available, you can always get that flavor, but rhubarb, even here in NYC, isn’t that easy to come by, and it only makes a short appearance at farmer’s markets and specialty stores each spring.
We’ve experimented with just rhubarb desserts before: Tarts and Coffee Cake. Now to add a third rhubarb dessert to our repertoire, here’s a rhubarb pie! Maybe next time will experiment with some rhubarb combinations.
I made mine pareve, but with a nice buttery pie crust, it’s a special Shavuot dessert!
Perfect Rhubarb Pie from A Veggie Venture
- 2x flaky pie or tart dough (or 2 of your favorite store-bought pie crusts)
- 1 pound sliced rhubarb, cut into about 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, in tiny pieces (I used Earth Balance to make mine pareve).
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Roll out one pie crust and roll into a pie pan.
- Mix the rhubarb with the sugar, flour and cinnamon and arrange the mixture into the bottom crust. Top with butter.
- Roll out the top pie crust, cut into 1/2-inch strips, and arrange the strips into a lattice top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 30-45 minutes. Let cool before slicing.