Pizza is probably my all-time favorite food. I mean, what’s not to like? But sometimes I like to get creative with my pizzas. And maybe a little bit healthier. So this time, I wanted to make pizza that was made out of only vegetables. And it really worked, except that I had to add a little sprinkle of cheese on top, because cheeseless pizza is really not pizza at all.
Now some people (ahem, Zeke) would claim this dish isn’t pizza at all. But I beg to differ. I mean, instead of the crust you have this juicy portobello mushroom. Then you have your sauce layer (and you can use any kind of sauce you want – jarred is fine) and you have the best kinds of toppings around, sauteed veggies. Plus topped off with cheese, again, any kind of cheese you like best on pizza. It looks like a pizza. It tastes sorta like a pizza, and it’s probably ten times healthier than a pizza. Maybe 20 times healthier than that greasy kosher pizza store around the corner.
I list the vegetables I used, but you can use whatever you want, really. I just used all of our favorites. I served it with some garlic bread for a full meal.
(serves 2, if each person wants 1 1/2 pieces)
- 3 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 yellow squash, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Tomato sauce (your favorite kind, I used a jar)
- 1/4 cup cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Remove mushroom stems and wash the mushrooms.
3. Brush mushrooms with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to soften and juice comes out of them.
4. While the mushrooms are cooking, add olive oil to a saute pan and place heat on medium.
5. Saute the veggies, adding salt and pepper to taste, mixing occasionally, until the veggies are soft.
6. Remove mushrooms from the oven and top with tomato sauce.
7. Divide the vegetables onto the three mushrooms.
8. Top with cheese and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
9. Serve with crusty garlic bread and enjoy!