Happy Adar! Purim is just a couple weeks away, and we’re thinking about mishloach manot, obviously. So is this month’s Kosher Connection linkup.
Last year, we made hot chocolate on a stick and marshmallows. And of course every year we make hamentaschen.
This weekend, we decided to try and make fruit snacks. A homemade, healthy version of the gummy candies kids and adults love. All you need is some fruit, some kosher gelatin and about 45 minutes and you can make your own fruit snacks, too!
These were interesting. They were more the consistency of Jell-O than fruit snacks, perhaps they could have used an extra packet of gelatin (but we didn’t have any more!). They were definitely better out of the fridge than they were at room temperature, too.
If you like more sour candies, we would recommend lemon or lime juice instead of range. Adjust the honey to your tastes, too. And some taste testers suggested cutting it into bigger pieces.
Homemade Healthy Fruit Snacks from thankyourbody.com
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2/3 cup chopped strawberries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries are all great.)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 packets gelatin
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add juice and berries and stir occasionally until the berries are tender.
- Add honey and stir until incorporated.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes and puree (an immersion blender is great for this).
- Slowly add the gelatin, whisking constantly and vigorously.
- Grease an 8×8 glass dish and pour mixture into the dish. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until set.
- Cut into small squares and enjoy.
‘); // ]]>
Pingback: Healthy Fruit Snacks Kosher « Recipes for Health()