It’s Taco Tuesday! It’s no secret that we love making tacos for dinner (see: tuna tacos, steak tacos, chicken tacos, chili tacos), but these are actually what we usually eat on taco night:
Black bean tacos are our go-to dinner when we can’t think of what to put on the menu on any given week. Even though we eat these at least once a month, it doesn’t get boring, we always change up the toppings depending on what’s in the fridge (but I always make sure to buy an avocado from the street guys. And I never pay more than $1!). What are your favorite taco toppings?
Black Bean Tacos
makes about 6 tacos
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 chipotle in adobo, chopped plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- corn tortillas
- toppings: lime, chopped scallions, sliced avocado, chopped tomatoes, shredded cabbage, cilantro, hot sauce, grated cheese, sour cream, etc.
- Heat a pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in a little bit of olive oil for 5 minutes, until it softens. Add the garlic, chipotle, adobo and spices and cook until fragrant.
- Add the beans to the pot and coat well. Add the water, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes.
- Mash up the beans a little bit with a rubber spatula, and your filling is ready.
- Serve in warmed tortillas (I like to melt some grated cheese on them, but don’t let them get too toasty!) with the toppings of your choice. I like avocado, hot sauce, scallions, cabbage and a splash of fresh lime juice.