The best part about eating Indian is the colorful variety. I already made a vivid green palak paneer, so I needed a contrasting side dish: This is an easy solution, and the yogurt has a cooling affect against the peppery spinach dish.
I cheat and use the pre-cooked beets, but they’re really great for when you want to save an hour and/or don’t want to stain your hands red.
Beet Raita from How to Cook Indian
- 2 beets (I use the pre-peeled and cooked ones from Fairway)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dice the beets and set them aside.
- Put the yogurt in a large bowl and beat until smooth (you can use an immersion blender or just a fork).
- Add the beets to the yogurt, then add the cumin, chile powder and salt. Stir well and let chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.