Happy Monday! I’m back on my Indian food kick with this simple vegetarian dish of potatoes, peas, tomatoes and spices.
Don’t be scared of all of these spices! The first time you look at a recipe like this, you might turn it away instead of going shopping. But once you have them, you have them, so go buy some spices! They last forever!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cups green peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and add the oil. When it is hot, add the bay leaf and cumin. When the seeds begin to change color, add the onions and saute for 3 to 4 minutes until golden. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric, coriander and chile powder and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the potatoes and water, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, cover and cook for 8 more minutes. Now the potatoes should be tender.
- Add the peas, garam masala and salt. Stir, cover and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with parathas or rice.